Schedule an appointment or email us today. (888) 813-9613
Generalized Anxiety Disorder Symptoms
Generalized Anxiety Disorder is diagnosed when a person worries excessively about a variety of everyday problems, and finds it difficult to control or cope with the worry. To receive a diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), the symptoms have to be present for at least six months, and occur more days than not. People with symptoms of GAD may visit doctors many times before they find out they have this disorder. Oftentimes they ask their doctors to help them with headaches or trouble falling asleep, which can be secondary symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder. Unfortunately, it can take numerous visits to primary care physicians and other specialists before an accurate diagnosis of GAD. If you suspect you may have symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, it is important you consult with a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or a psychiatrist, to receive an accurate diagnosis. GAD is highly treatable, but not until you receive an accurate diagnosis.
The following are symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder:
- Problematic worry or anxiety that is difficult to control or cope with.
- The anxiety must be present most of the time, for a duration of at least six months.
- Worries must be in response to a number of different situations, such as finances, family, social relationships, health, etc.
- The anxiety results in several of any of the following physiological symptoms: insomnia, muscle tension, feeling fatigued, problems with attention or concentration, feeling on-edge, or irritability.
- The anxiety results in marked emotional distress, or significant functional impairment (such as poor performance at work, difficulty maintaining relationships, etc.)
If you believe you may have generalized anxiety disorder symptoms, it is important to consult a mental health professional. At Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Los Angeles, we specialize in diagnosis and treatment of anxiety disorders. Call today for an appointment.